New Event: Visit Tomorrowland – buildings for a sustainable future
22 August 2017
Come visit Tomorrowland and find out what our buildings of the future will look like – much sooner than we think.
Can we design buildings for the unknown?
See our full program below
Our world is rapidly changing. We are inundated with daily news of breakthroughs in robotics, artificial intelligence, 3D printing, sensors that will control buildings and peer into our private lives (at work), and radical new building materials that might change form and colour or turn buildings into their own power stations.
And we need to reach net zero energy more urgently than we would like.
At the same time there are rapidly changing social patterns and ways of working. Some institutional owners are asking if they should even be invested in traditional office buildings.
Our Tomorrowland event will help you separate the sci-fi and wishful thinking from the reality you need to prepare for today.
We’ve gathered some of the best thinkers in Australia to help you sort through the daily blur and create a realistic path that will be invaluable for your business strategy.
We’ll look at what the research labs are doing, at building design, supply chain and quality issues. Can we turn our buildings into energy efficient energy generating mini power stations?
All along with one big question: what will the next $1 billion net zero building look like? And how will this influence more regular projects down the chain?
Our panel of investors from ISPT, Frasers Property, Dexus and Impact Investment Group, will give us their assessment.
Our speakers, panelists and a host of specially invited expert guests that we will pepper through the audience will ensure this will be yet another highly engaged and stimulating event.
Our ebook already under development will expand on the topics.
When: 8 am-2.30 pm, Tuesday 19 September 2017
Where: DEXUS Place, Level 15 Governor Macquarie Tower, One Farrer Place, Sydney
General admission $295 each
Join The Fifth Estate community and enjoy a growing list of benefits including:
Individual members: $247 a year, receive 1 complimentary ticket to Tomorrowland plus more
Business Membership:$495 a year, receive 2 complimentary tickets to Tomorrowland
Click here or on the image
Confirmed speakers and panellists, special guests
Event design collaboration
8.30-8:50am – The Big Picture
MC Howard Parry-Husbands, CEO, Pollinate
8.50-10:00am – Sci-fi has Arrived
MC Howard Parry–Husbands + Moderator Alex Harrington, COO, The Warren Centre, University of Sydney
The future has arrived and needs to be implemented and planned for now. This session will cover robotics, 3D printing, new ways of designing and how to deliver zero carbon buildings.
Short presentations followed by audience Q&A
- Dagmar Reinhardt, architect, robotics research leader and Program Director of the Bachelor of Architecture and Environments, University of Sydney
- Alex Sinickas, head of R & D Arup, Australasia
- Deo Prasad AO, Scientia Professor, CEO, CRC for Low Carbon Living
- Ian Lomas, Partner, Make Architects
Special expert audience guests who will be asked to contribute their responses through this session
- Paul Edwards, General Manager Workplace Experiences, Office and Industrial, Mirvac
- Suzanne Toumbourou, Executive Director, ASBEC
- Paul Wall, Head of Group Sustainability and Energy, Dexus; Chair, Better Buildings Partnership
This session will be filmed
10:30-11:00am – Morning Tea
11:00am – 12.30pm – The Materials Inquisition (Like the Spanish Inquisition but friendlier)
A panel of experts on materials will hold an inquiry into how new materials and traditional materials are being reinvented to face the sustainability challenge of the future. The panel will call “material witnesses” to the stand to give expert testimony.
- Case study on timber: International House – Jonathan Evans, Tzannes Associates
- Life Cycle Assessment – Dr Caroline Noller, The Footprint Company
Expert Panel – The Inquisitors
- Jonas Bengtsson, CEO, Edge Environment
- Kate Harris, CEO, GECA
- Robin Mellon, CEO, Sustainability Supply Chain School
- Dr Caroline Noller, CEO, The Footprint Company
- Professor Veena Sahajwalla, Scientia Professor, director the Centre for Sustainable Materials Research and Technology, UNSW
Special expert audience guests who will be called by expert panels or by moderators to contribute responses during discussion sessions:
- Dr Anita Wing Yi Ho-Baillie, Senior Research Fellow at the School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering, UNSW
- David Chandler, Adjunct Fellow and Industry Engagement Lead at Western Sydney University’s Centre for Smart Modern Construction
- Andrew Dunn, CEO, Timber Development Association NSW
- Michael Lord, Lead Researcher, Beyond Zero Emissions
- Haico Schepers, Principal Building Physics, Arup
- Paul Stoller, Director, Atelier 10
12.30-1:15pm – Lunch
1.15-1:45pm – The Investor Panel
The Investor Panel will discuss where they would be interested to invest, and whether what they’ve heard on the day would change their parameters.
The panel includes:
- Peter Morley, Head of Office Development, Dexus
- Peri McDonald, Executive General Manager, Retail, Frasers Property Australia
- Michael Cook, Group Executive, Investa
- Michelle McNally, GM Commercial Service, ISPT
- Liam Timms, Fund Manager, International Towers Sydney, Lendlease Investment Management
- TBC, CEO or head of real estate, Impact Investment Group
1.45-2:15pm – $1 Billion Zero Carbon Challenge
The room breaks into a quick workshop to design a concept plan for the best $1 billion zero carbon project. What is achievable now; how can the barriers be broken?
Tables of 8. Audience can come as a team or form a team on the day.
The investors will move around the room to pick up ideas and key thoughts, guided by Howard Parry-Husbands and Alex Harrington.
2.15-2:30pm – The Judges Decide
Investors make their decisions, share best ideas and danger zones.