Advertisement: Northrop, Group Manager, Sustainability
Advertisement | 11 July 2017
Amir Girgis is a Northrop principal and manager of the Sustainability section in Sydney. His team spend their days working on premium grade commercial office buildings, large precinct masterplans and projects targeting world’s best practices.
Here he gives us an insight into what it’s like to be a part of a team who love what they do. And we’re looking for the next piece of the jigsaw puzzle. So come on, realise your potential. Make Northrop home.
Northrop Consulting Engineers is an employee owned, multidiscipline consultancy that has been established for 40 years. We have an open management structure and employ over 280 staff across eight offices in NSW, ACT, QLD, and VIC
We are essentially a people business that grows by creating opportunities for our people to help build the business and their career. When you join Northrop, you join a company that will support you to excel both professionally and personally.
The Group Manager role is seen as one of the most vital roles within Northrop. Reporting to the Sustainability Section Manager, you will play a pivotal role in the strategic development of our Sustainability offering as we enter the next phase of our evolution.
- Looking to operate without bureaucracy and red tape?
- Keen to implement ideas without going through multiple layers of approval?
- Positive, adaptable and flexible with your approach to management?
- Open-minded and approachable?
- Inspiring and passionate about the Sustainability industry?
- Get the best out of your people?
- Effectively manage people without the need to micromanage?
- Take accountability during critical situations?
- Impart your knowledge and pass on both technical and professional skills?
- Be a leader, not just a manager?
The above, in essence, outlines the brief for the role. With a key focus on people and the success of your team, we are seeking a Sustainability professional who is passionate about developing their team to its full potential.
Rest assured, you will receive the necessary support and resources required for you to be successful.
This is a unique role and opportunity, and is not for everyone. We are looking for someone who wants to take control of their career and provide pathways for their team to operate successfully and achieve their career goals.
In order to be successful in this role, you will also need to possess:
- Strong team ethics.
- Sustainability consulting skills in the built environment (Master planning communities and buildings)
- Sound knowledge in working with various rating frameworks (minimum Greenstar, NABERS, WELL, ABSA/HERS)
- Well-rounded experience (balanced in both technical ability and consulting/managerial skills).
- High EQ with the ability to manage pressure situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to find common ground and gain personal and professional trust.
- Creative problem solving skills to continually finds ways to overcome challenges and obstacles.
- The ability to work collaboratively across functional groups.